Friday 4 September 2015

Music Video Analysis - Charlie XCX

Here I am analysing a music video of the song 'Boom Clap' by Charli XCX, a song which was recently featured in a popular film. The music video includes brief clips from the film, which I will not do in my own video, however there are clips from the artists input into the video which I will use in my own as i really like the style of it.
The video is directed by Sing J. Lee and was filmed in Amsterdam therefore a lot of attractions and simple shots are used throughout the video.


Camera Angles
The camera angles throughout this video usually consists of mid shots and simple shots of the artist. Throughout the video, there is brief clips of the featured movie this song was used for which made the video different to most music videos and gives an interesting imput into it. However, I am not going to be using this format for my own video as it is not featured in any films. On the other hand, during the video where the artist is focused on, I like how each shot is composed as she is not over exaggerating when she lip syncs, it looks natural and simple.
The video has a very different aspect as it has on screen text in the format of hand writing and 'doodles' which relates to the film poster and book cover. I may use this effect in my video if i believe that it needs more effects to it.

Mise-en-scene
Throughout this music video, the costume that Charli XCX is wearing, is fashionable and stylish as she is seen wearing a light pink jumper, a thick choker and patterned leggings. This artist is considered 'indie pop' therefore her style is different however it is still fun and exciting for viewers to see. Her bright red lipstick is also a very noticable throughout.
Her hair is very dark, thick and wavy, another fashionable style when this video was made. I will collect this research and imput it into my own video.
The lighing in this music video is very naturalistic as it was shot in daylight, but half is shot at night, with street lights as the main lighing use which creates a natural dark light on the artist. There is also a part of the video which includes multicoloured spotted lights which gives a 'party essence' of the video which I may also include in my music video.






No comments:

Post a Comment